The site required a greenhouse, garden equipment store, storage space and a redesigned bicycle parking area. Gray Baynes and Shew Architects worked extremely hard on this project to produce a design that achieved planning permission back in 2013, but the project required further approval from the Diocese. The diocese could not grant permission for the project, as it was bound by the Disused Burial Grounds Act of 1884, which states it is unlawful ‘to erect any buildings upon any disused burial ground, except for the purpose of enlarging a church, chapel, meeting house, or other place of worship.’
For work to proceed, The Church of England had to change the law, which they recognised as being outdated. However, this process has several stages, one of which involves taking the proposal to Her Majesty as the Head of the Church. By the time royal permission had been granted, the original Council permission had run out. Collectively, Gray Baynes and Shew Architects and St Edmund Hall College reapplied with success.